New Brighton Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare, both physical and emotional, of every pupil both inside and outside of the school premises.
This policy sets out a clear and consistent framework for delivering this promise, in line with safeguarding legislation and statutory guidance.
It will be achieved by:
- Creating a culture of safer recruitment by adopting procedures that help deter, reject or identify people who might pose a risk to children.
- Educating pupils on how to keep safe and to recognise behaviour that is unacceptable.
- Identifying and making provision for any pupil that has been subject to abuse.
- Ensuring that members of the governing body, the headteacher and staff members understand their responsibilities under safeguarding legislation and statutory guidance, and are alert to the signs of child abuse and know to refer concerns to the designated safeguarding lead (DSL).
- Ensuring that the headteacher and any new staff members and volunteers are only appointed when all the appropriate checks have been satisfactorily completed.
The DSL is: Coleen Hibbard. In the absence of the DSL, child protection matters will be dealt with by the Deputy Safeguarding Lead: Cathy Murphy or in her absence the Safeguarding Manager Sandra Cochrane.
The Safeguarding Governor is: Alan Johnson.
All staff complete on-line Safeguarding training from Educare which is renewed at least every three years. Records of this training is retained in the front office.
The DSL completes this same training and also completes DSL training via the Wirral Safeguarding Board every two years, as does the Deputy.